1. Stay hydrated. Dehydration is one of the main causes of hangovers. Coconut water is a great hydrator!
2. Alternate alcoholic beverages with water. A 2:1 water to alcoholic drink ratio is best!
3. If you are going to drink, stick to red wine (contains resveratrol, which is good for you!) or drinks you can sip slowly, like silver tequila.
4. Use club soda as a mixer rather than sweet fruit juices or pop. The sweeter the drink the more likely the hangover.
5. If you want to avoid the pounds or a hangover sneaking up on you, stay away from eggnog and Irish Cream concoctions.
6. Stay away from the Brown. Darker alcohols have substances that increase hangovers.
7. Stay away from cheap booze. It is more likely to cause hangovers due to toxins (called congeners) that are created during less expensive distillation processes. So if you are going to drink, drink the good stuff!
8. Eat before you drink. Don’t drink on an empty stomach.
9. Take vitamin C and or charcoal before bed to help eliminate the toxins.
10. Consider going on the wagon during the holidays. I know, that might sound a little crazy but I am a firm believer in shaking up the status quo. The value it can have on the immune system, sleep, weight, mood, and productivity can be immense. (Ok, probably not going to happen but just think about it!)