OK, so you survived the holidays, perhaps even without getting the sinus infection and bronchitis that were going around but now its time to get back on track and “clean out” the holiday indulgences. I’ve already given you two weeks to get back into the work/school routine.
Its too cold and rainy to do a full detox, so I propose you do a simple cleanse…….
STOP THE ALCOHOL AND SUGAR
I don’t mean cut it down, or return to a moderate amount, I mean stop. That’s right COLD TURKEY!
Why? Because it’s good for you and I said so! The body can only take so much and that includes your poor liver and your gut flora. They both need a break, and what better month to do it than January. There are no long weekends and its already half over. I used to wait until February to do this because it was the shortest month and there were no long weekends. (I don’t count valentines’ day as a reason for any celebration, I accept flowers every day of the year.) But, now there is Family Day and it seemed February would not come soon enough this year so I started on January 4th.
Here are a few steps to make this doable:
1. Put all leftover alcohol in the garage where you will not keep looking at it and drooling or in a cupboard that is out of reach and you don’t go into very often.
2. Get rid of all the cookies and chocolates that you haven’t yet consumed. I DO NOT MEANT EAT THEM. I like to give then to the street people living near my office, there is no reason for good cookies and chocolates to go in the garbage, they just cannot go in my mouth.
3. Be prepared for a less social month. This does not mean that you hide and don’t leave the house, just don’t make a date to meet at the bar. Instead, go to a movie, a play, or even go snowshoeing or night cross country skiing or tubing.
4. Still consume plenty of beverages but just not alcoholic ones. I like to put bubbly water in a wine glass to feel like its not just another glass of water.
5. Enjoy the improved sleep without all that extra sugar.
6. If you choose, pick up a homeopathic “detox kit” to clear out anything else that needs to go!